President Trump’s impeccable timing- just before the weekend talk shows preceding midterm elections- with his announcement about the “potential” for a trade truce with China and direction for a “draft” trade agreement to be prepared is not being lost on anyone.
What seems to be getting lost on people, though, is the impossibility of such an agreement and the depth of the disagreements between the U.S. and China.
We differ not only on trade rules, but clash on policies, values, and ambitions.
I have hardly ever met a person whose values and behaviors I could change in a year. I am dubious it can be done to a wealthy nation.
Lately, the media has been pointing out that this dispute is not only about tariffs, it’s also about technology transfers and IP. But, it’s about far more than even that.
This is a clash of cultures. This is about who will control the planet in the 21st century.
This is about who will hold the most influence over North Korea. Just imagine if China was seeking influence over one of our direct neighbors, like Mexico.
This is about the U.S. agreeing, in writing, to not “butt-in” on China’s control of Taiwan. The U.S. recently ran Navy ships through the Taiwan Strait in a show of force after promising to not interfere in that relationship. Will we be able to just say, “Oops … yeah, about “that”.?
This is about providing foreign investors with total access to investments in China without having to partner with a Chinese counterpart- just as China can do here. The Chinese people, themselves, barely have this option. We must have unfettered and largely unencumbered access to markets that have such access to ours.
This is about acceptable environmental and labor standards in China. China’s air is our air and China should bear the same expenses and costs the U.S. incurs to address these issues in acceptable ways.
This is about no less than who will be the most dominant global power on earth over the next hundred years.
So, deal or no deal coming “soon”?
Neil S. Siskind, Esq., President
The Siskind Law Firm
Neil Siskind is the Founder & Chairman of The Fatherhood Assignment
Learn more at: http://www.neil-siskind-the-fatherhood-assignment.org/
Neil Siskind is the Conservator of the Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve
The Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve is over 7 acres of environmentally-pristine waterfront land in a magnificent setting along New York’s majestic Hudson River. The Preserve includes a variety of species of animal and plant life, and is a precious example of the thoughtful maintenance of New York’s priceless open spaces. The land’s uses are limited to outdoor recreation such as hiking and climbing, and the study of ecology, nature and land use. The Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve allows for the intelligent contemplation of our valuable natural resources and the most effective ways to maximize them and keep them protected.
Neil Siskind, Founder, “National Fatherhood Day” – March 29th
Read about the non-profits and charities whose missions Neil Siskind supports and promotes: www.neilsiskindsupports.com
Caring is Free®
You can read what clients and associates say about Neil Siskind at: http://siskindlawfirm.com/neil-siskind-bio/.
Neil Siskind’s Volunteer Work:
– Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Volunteer
– Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, My Fundraiser- Help Neil Siskindhelp children with cancer to be more comfortable: http://mskcc.convio.net/site/TR?px=3182108&fr_id=2632&pg=personal
– Make-A Wish Foundation- Help Neil Siskind make sick children’s wishes come true by creating your own fundraiser: Neil-Siskind/Help-Make-A-Child-Smile.htm
– DonorsChoose.org- Donate to one of my needy public classrooms: http://www.donorschoose.org/NeilSiskindGiving
– Champion Children– We seek to inspire people through stories of children who have overcome challenges: http://siskindlawfirm.com/neil-siskind-champion-children/
Neil Siskind’s Pro Bono Work:
– Saving Senior Citizens- Protecting New York’s senior citizens from fraud and financial abuse www.savingseniorcitizens.com
– Senior FreeStart Business– Pro Bono: We seek to help put senior citizens in the right direction so that they can face the challenges of the modern economy: http://siskindlawfirm.com/free-start-business/
– Veteran FreeStart Business– Pro Bono: We seek to help put Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans in the right direction so that they can face the challenges of the modern economy: http://siskindlawfirm.com/free-start-business/
– In development: The Neil S. Siskind School of Hope: A free school to teach inner-city youths the skills of entrepreneurship and importance of economic self-sufficiency.
Neil Siskind’s Government Work:
– Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Boston, MA, 1994, Intern
– Office of Senator Christopher J. Dodd, Newington, CT, 1992, Intern
– Hartford County Department of Probation, Hartford, CT, 1991, Intern
Neil Siskind’s Community Assistance:
Financed & operated a legal clinic providing low-cost legal services to struggling Long Islanders during the recession to help clients resolve debt, organize finances, and launch new businesses.
Neil Siskind’s Professional Curriculum Vitae: http://neilsiskind.com/
Inventors, IP Owners, Manufacturers
Learn How To Bring Products To Market And To Expand Your Distribution Channels
The Complete Guide To The Ways To Manufacture & Sell Your Products