Rents are sliding fast. Landlord concessions are growing rapidly. What is going on?
To compensate for the low housing supply, developers have opted to build rental buildings and condos, rather than single family homes.
Past experience has taught developers that overbuilding during a housing boom can lead to disastrous results. So, instead, they determined that a safer route would be to build rentals, and condos that allow rentals- since even if housing crashes, people will need to rent. Plus, condos are more of an investor-game than single family houses, since they are often in urban areas with younger demographics- and developers can build many at once so that they require a smaller profit margin per unit.
As the result, while there is a shortage of single family homes for buyers, there are too many rental apartments.
Condominiums are not being absorbed by buyers as an alternative to a house. They have been bought by investors to rent out, and by apartment dwellers so that they can own instead of rent.
The net result is an oversupply of rentals.
So- now we enter into the “bubble” phase.
How many of these condominiums are owned by investors? And how many units will go under water once the economy softens. With the oversupply of rentals- many may go belly-up even without any economic decline- though rental buildings may do worse than new condominiums buildings, which may be stealing tenants from older rentals.
Janet Yellen noted on CBC after she stepped down as Chairwoman, there may be a “commercial” real estate bubble where incomes and prices are not aligned. This problem may be to what she was referring- too many rental units (she surely was not referring to a bubble in retail space- that is not a “bubble” as we mean when we talk about “bubbles”. There is simply an oversupply of retail square footage developed over decades which has become obsolete in the “new economy”.
So, how are single family houses implicated, if at all? Well- if renting is more and more affordable than buying- house prices will decline. Also, single family homes have, like condos, attracted a lot of investors as buyers over the past few years. These factors are separate from, and in addition to, the disparity between housing prices and incomes.
In an economic decline or recession, see could see a bubble-burst in condo apartments or or rental buildings cap rates, along with prices in single family houses.
Neil S. Siskind, Esq., President
The Siskind Law Firm
Neil Siskind is the Founder & Chairman of The Fatherhood Assignment
Learn more at: http://www.neil-siskind-the-fatherhood-assignment.org/
Neil Siskind is the Conservator of the Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve
The Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve is over 7 acres of environmentally-pristine waterfront land in a magnificent setting along New York’s majestic Hudson River. The Preserve includes a variety of species of animal and plant life, and is a precious example of the thoughtful maintenance of New York’s priceless open spaces. The land’s uses are limited to outdoor recreation such as hiking and climbing, and the study of ecology, nature and land use. The Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve allows for the intelligent contemplation of our valuable natural resources and the most effective ways to maximize them and keep them protected.
Neil Siskind, Founder, “National Fatherhood Day” – March 29th
Read about the non-profits and charities whose missions Neil Siskind supports and promotes: www.neilsiskindsupports.com
Caring is Free®
You can read what clients and associates say about Neil Siskind at: http://siskindlawfirm.com/neil-siskind-bio/.
Neil Siskind’s Volunteer Work:
– Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Volunteer
– Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, My Fundraiser- Help Neil Siskindhelp children with cancer to be more comfortable: http://mskcc.convio.net/site/TR?px=3182108&fr_id=2632&pg=personal
– Make-A Wish Foundation- Help Neil Siskind make sick children’s wishes come true by creating your own fundraiser: Neil-Siskind/Help-Make-A-Child-Smile.htm
– DonorsChoose.org- Donate to one of my needy public classrooms: http://www.donorschoose.org/NeilSiskindGiving
– Champion Children– We seek to inspire people through stories of children who have overcome challenges: http://siskindlawfirm.com/neil-siskind-champion-children/
Neil Siskind’s Pro Bono Work:
– Saving Senior Citizens- Protecting New York’s senior citizens from fraud and financial abuse www.savingseniorcitizens.com
– Senior FreeStart Business– Pro Bono: We seek to help put senior citizens in the right direction so that they can face the challenges of the modern economy: http://siskindlawfirm.com/free-start-business/
– Veteran FreeStart Business– Pro Bono: We seek to help put Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans in the right direction so that they can face the challenges of the modern economy: http://siskindlawfirm.com/free-start-business/
– In development: The Neil S. Siskind School of Hope: A free school to teach inner-city youths the skills of entrepreneurship and importance of economic self-sufficiency.
Neil Siskind’s Government Work:
– Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Boston, MA, 1994, Intern
– Office of Senator Christopher J. Dodd, Newington, CT, 1992, Intern
– Hartford County Department of Probation, Hartford, CT, 1991, Intern
Neil Siskind’s Community Assistance:
Financed & operated a legal clinic providing low-cost legal services to struggling Long Islanders during the recession to help clients resolve debt, organize finances, and launch new businesses.
Neil Siskind’s Professional Curriculum Vitae: http://neilsiskind.com/
Inventors, IP Owners, Manufacturers
Learn How To Bring Products To Market And To Expand Your Distribution Channels
The Complete Guide To The Ways To Manufacture & Sell Your Products