U.S. Anti-Trust laws were/are designed to protect consumers from monopolistic and anti-competitive behaviors to consumers’ detriments. The laws contemplate anti-competitive behaviors within industries. Amazon is now taking over, not an industry, but a way of life- a manner of buying products. Laws could never have contemplated what is happening. Legislation should be drafted and passed to stop what is happening- which is that the words “shopping” and “Amazon” are coming to mean one and the same thing. It would be like, 20 years ago, all of us having to not only go to the same mall to shop, but having to buy products at that mall from one company. We need laws to stop one company from owning a way of life.
That which is happening to the process of “shopping” at the hands of Amazon would be like one company owning every restaurant in which to eat because it has the scale to own all the food supplies and then sell food for the cheapest price until one day every other restaurant company is gone. And then next it happens with the medicine supply. The power of scale, because of the Internet, slowly allows one company to take over our ways of life in one respect after the next. Monopolies take away consumer choice.
So, you say, but we have a choice. We can shop elsewhere right now. But, it’s not true- or, at least, it is on a very slippery slope to becoming untrue. We can’t shop elsewhere for certain items if no one else can stay in business because of what is happening- because of the marketing, technology, and scale of Amazon. Consumer choice will suffer. Consumer choice will disappear.
Consumer choice is getting stifled because competition is getting stifled. Sure, we’ll have cheap prices- but we won’t have anywhere else to work except for Amazon because everyone else will be priced out of business. On this trajectory, Amazon would be like a socialist nation unto itself. We’ll be promised a living and food and necessities, but have no options- and even less in the way of career options in certain, or in many industries if Amazon keeps pushing retail options out of the market.
Amazon must be stopped.
Neil S. Siskind, Esq., President
The Siskind Law Firm
Neil Siskind is the Founder & Chairman of The Fatherhood Assignment
Learn more at: http://www.neil-siskind-the-fatherhood-assignment.org/
Neil Siskind is the Conservator of the Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve
The Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve is over 7 acres of environmentally-pristine waterfront land in a magnificent setting along New York’s majestic Hudson River. The Preserve includes a variety of species of animal and plant life, and is a precious example of the thoughtful maintenance of New York’s priceless open spaces. The land’s uses are limited to outdoor recreation such as hiking and climbing, and the study of ecology, nature and land use. The Neil S. Siskind Nature Preserve allows for the intelligent contemplation of our valuable natural resources and the most effective ways to maximize them and keep them protected.
Neil Siskind, Founder, “National Fatherhood Day” – March 29th
Read about the non-profits and charities whose missions Neil Siskind supports and promotes: www.neilsiskindsupports.com
Caring is Free®
You can read what clients and associates say about Neil Siskind at: http://siskindlawfirm.com/neil-siskind-bio/.
Neil Siskind’s Volunteer Work:
– Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Volunteer
– Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, My Fundraiser- Help Neil Siskind help children with cancer to be more comfortable: http://mskcc.convio.net/site/TR?px=3182108&fr_id=2632&pg=personal
– Make-A Wish Foundation- Help Neil Siskind make sick children’s wishes come true by creating your own fundraiser: Neil-Siskind/Help-Make-A-Child-Smile.htm
– DonorsChoose.org- Donate to one of my needy public classrooms: http://www.donorschoose.org/NeilSiskindGiving
– Champion Children– We seek to inspire people through stories of children who have overcome challenges: http://siskindlawfirm.com/neil-siskind-champion-children/
Neil Siskind’s Pro Bono Work:
– Saving Senior Citizens- Protecting New York’s senior citizens from fraud and financial abuse www.savingseniorcitizens.com
– Senior FreeStart Business– Pro Bono: We seek to help put senior citizens in the right direction so that they can face the challenges of the modern economy: http://siskindlawfirm.com/free-start-business/
– Veteran FreeStart Business– Pro Bono: We seek to help put Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans in the right direction so that they can face the challenges of the modern economy: http://siskindlawfirm.com/free-start-business/
– In development: The Neil S. Siskind School of Hope: A free school to teach inner-city youths the skills of entrepreneurship and importance of economic self-sufficiency.
Neil Siskind’s Government Work:
– Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Boston, MA, 1994, Intern
– Office of Senator Christopher J. Dodd, Newington, CT, 1992, Intern
– Hartford County Department of Probation, Hartford, CT, 1991, Intern
Neil Siskind’s Community Assistance:
Financed & operated a legal clinic providing low-cost legal services to struggling Long Islanders during the recession to help clients resolve debt, organize finances, and launch new businesses.
Neil Siskind’s Professional Curriculum Vitae: http://neilsiskind.com/
Inventors, IP Owners, Manufacturers
Learn How To Bring Products To Market And To Expand Your Distribution Channels
The Complete Guide To The Ways To Manufacture & Sell Your Products